Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Forever Mother’s Day
By: Mary A. Wasowski

As I anticipated Reese’s first Mother’s Day with Fallon, our beautiful new baby girl, I smiled remembering the time I had surprised her. It was Valentine’s Day, and it so happened to mark the end of the longest six weeks of my life. I was starved for Reese, and I counted the days until I would be able to make love to her again, but she was nervous. As I sat behind my desk in my office at Reed Global, my mind brought me back to that very day.
“Talk to me. What’s going on in that beautiful head of yours?”
“Beautiful? Oh, Walker, how can you say that? Look at me, I’m a mess.”
Tears began to form in her eyes, which always gutted me deep down to my soul. How could Reese doubt herself? And to me, of all people?
“Reese, where are these tears coming from? You are the most gorgeous woman on the planet and the mother of my child. I love every inch of you. I am dying to be inside of you again. Reese, you are my goddess.”
“You never see me any other way, do you?”
“No, I don’t. You know I am a beast when it comes to how I feel about you. I will take you any way that I can have you, and you know that. Reese, you are breathtaking, and having our child has just made you beyond desirable to me. I am a starved man and need all of you for my survival.
I loved my wife. She was my life. She was my happily forever after, and her love made a broken man whole again. Our precious little baby was now just over four months old, and every single day spent with her has been magical.
It was my life’s mission to make Reese happy, and when she was happy, I was happy. I was all set to phone my event planner that I kept on speed dial, but then I was interrupted with a call on my private line. To my surprise, it was Nana Lila, Reese’s beloved grandmother.
“Lila, what a surprise! How are you?” I asked.
“Hi handsome, I’m doing well, thank you for asking. Let me get right to the point. A woman at my age has no time to waste.”
I was grinning like a fool. This woman did not mince words. I cleared my throat and then asked what I could do for her.
“Walker, I am not getting any younger, and neither is Thomas. With the birth of our great-great granddaughter, Fallon, I want to seize the day. Thomas has been doing well in regards to his health, and I just passed my check-up with flying colors. I know its short notice, but I would like to take a trip back home to Ireland, and invite Reese and beautiful Fallon to join us.”
Wow! This was big news. I wasn’t sure if I could just send my family off to Ireland, and without me accompanying them, but I also wondered if I was invited to join them on this trip.
“Lila, that sounds amazing, and I am very happy to hear you are doing so well, and Thomas too. Having said that, the baby is only four months old, and a trip to Ireland would take some planning.”
“Hogwash, Walker! Now, I know babies. Fallon has received all of her immunizations, and besides, you have already taken her to Germany, so this trip would be no different.”
Well, she’s got me there. 
“Okay, Lila, you’re right. When do you want to take this trip? I can make all the arrangements and provide my plane for you.”
“This weekend for Mother’s Day.”
“Come again? I thought you said, Mother’s Day.”
“I did, and it has to be this weekend.”
“May I ask why? Now, I certainly do not want to stand in your way of seizing the day, but it’s Reese’s first Mother’s Day with Fallon, and I had a few surprises of my own for her.”
“Walker, you have the rest of your life to make Reese happy with your grandiose surprises, I do not. I don’t mean to get sassy, you know I love and think the world of you, but I need this now.”
“Okay, Lila, if it means that much to you, I will arrange it, but on one condition.”
“Anything.”
“May I join you?”
“I’m sorry, Walker, that should have been the first thing I asked. Yes, you must be with us.”
“Okay, I will have Jenny phone you later with all of the arrangements and itinerary.”
“Walker, all you need to do is get us there, and I’ll take care of the rest.”
“Fair enough, we will speak soon.”
“Walker?”
“Yes, Lila?”
“This is my surprise for Reese, please do not tell her.”
“I think she may be suspicious when we board a flight to Ireland, and I don’t tell her the reason as to why.”
“I’ll take care of it. Please send the plane for us, and we will meet you in LA.”
After I disconnected my call with Lila, I wasn’t feeling all that great about this mystery trip, but it was Lila, and I knew whatever she had cooking up would be amazing for Reese. They had such a close relationship, and one I now get to be a part of. I had Jenny make as many arrangements as she could per Lila’s instructions, and then went home to tell Reese the ‘cover story’ let’s hope she buys it.
I had left the office a little earlier than usual, wanting to get home to Reese. When I entered our bedroom, she was sound asleep with Fallon all nestled and protected beside her. She must have nursed her into a milk coma and then fell asleep with our baby. She looked so beautiful. My beautiful wife and child. I seized the day and snapped a photo of the moment that I could not look away from. She startled awake, and then I leaned in to properly kiss her hello.
“Welcome home, Walker. I missed you.”
“I missed you more. How’s our little one?”
“Perfect.”
“Just like you.”
“You have always seen me that way, haven’t you?”
“Always. You are the most beautiful woman in the world, and now that you have given me this precious gift, well, that makes you even more wonderful and so sexy. Never doubt my love for you.”
“Okay, I was just checking.”
“That’s my sexy vixen.”
“So what brings you home so early? Not that I’m complaining.”
“We are going on a trip, and I’ve been told to pack your things, along with Fallon’s, and to have us on my plane by midnight tonight.”
She looked stunned. “Where are we going? You know I love anything you plan for me, but it’s Mother’s Day this weekend, and I was hoping for something a bit more intimate.”
“I love how you think, baby, but I have my orders.”
“Orders? Someone is ordering you around? Walker Reed?”
“Yeah, crazy, right? I’ve made a special exception for a very special person. Now, up we go!”
Stephen had loaded our bags onto our plane, and then I carried Fallon, and held Reese’s hand as we made our way up the stairs to her surprise. I settled our sleeping baby in the master suite with our nanny, and then had Reese close her eyes. When she opened them, they filled with tears at the sight of Lila and Thomas, both standing with open arms.
“Nana! Granddaddy! What are you doing here?”
“Surprise!” I stepped back and gave Reese time with her family. They embraced one another and then Lila happily explained all that she had planned.
“Reese, you know how much you mean to me, and to your grandfather. We have loved you so much, and it was an honor to raise you after your parents passed away. You have been our greatest gift, and as a gift to you, and to your family, we would like to do something for you.”
“Nana, you being here is enough. I was so sad when you left to go home to Georgia, but now I get to share Mother’s Day with you. Three generations of Mitchell women.”
“I’m very happy to hear you say that, but I do have something in mind.”
“Okay, what is it?”
“I would like to take you to Ireland for Mother’s Day, and to have our Fallon, be baptized in our church back home. The same church your beloved father was baptized in. I have made a christening gown for Fallon to wear, and I hope you agree.”
I was completely surprised, and that doesn’t happen too often. I knew Reese was born Catholic, and I didn’t actively practice any form of religion, but I wouldn’t stand in her way if this is what she chose for our daughter. I only found God a short time ago when my son had been sick. I never prayed so hard in my life, and have not taken one day for granted since he was saved.
In all my years designing and following my passion in Architecture, I had never seen anything so beautiful and breathtaking in all of my life, well, besides my Reese. The 13th Century structure known as, St. Brigid Cathedral was spectacular, and it was where generations of Mitchell babies were baptized, including Reese’s father, and now our daughter.  I had always loved Ireland, but to be here with my family made it so special. I had no time to include Jackson, Riley, and my mother to join us, but Lila had explained this was something just for Reese. No one was offended, but I still missed having them here. Lila explained that she wasn’t able to do this back then when Riley was born, reasons she didn’t want to share. She said they were part of the past now, and today was all that mattered.
Our beautiful Fallon Ryann Reed, was perfect up until it was time to shower the top of her soft brown curls with the blessed water. She let out a small cry, but then was soothed by Reese. An Irish blessing was given for our ‘little ruler’ for what her name means, and then we went on to celebrate at Lila and Thomas’s favorite pub. It was owned by their long life friend, Niall Daugherty. Music played throughout the bar, as I watched Reese, and her grandparents dance to the Irish Jig. They clapped in a big circle and called for me to join them. Why not, right? As a Reed, I had never experienced many traditions with my parents, until I had children of my own. To have married Reese, meant embracing her strong faith and love for family.
I spun Reese and then back into my arms. The crowd cheered us on, and then the music quieted down and Lila held our daughter to make an announcement. It felt like a circle of life kind of moment, but I just stood back and allowed Nana to have her moment with our daughter.
“Please welcome my great-great granddaughter, Fallon Ryann Mitchell Reed in to your hearts and into the hands of the lord. May strong arms hold you, caring hearts tend you, and may love await you at every step.” The crowd cheered and encircled Lila, and our baby to give their blessings and well-wishes. It was a surreal moment for me, and one that I would always cherish.
“Thank you Walker.”
“For?” I asked as I held my wife in my arms, as we made our way home.
“For this life you have given me, and every blessed day I get to share it with you, and our family. I could not have asked for a better Mother’s Day. It was amazing.”
“I believe all thanks goes to Lila, but thank you.”
“Yes, that may be true, but you made it happen. You work so hard with the sole purpose at making me happy, and you do every single day. I love you Walker Reed.”
“I love you more. You will always have my love, Reese.”
“Always and forever?”
“And then some.”

Happy Mother’s Day!

Xoxo,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment